Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Tale of Three Kitchens


“I found the kitchen I want!” I said pulling Mr. Wonderful in from the driveway after work.
That’s what I wanted to hear,” he said, his lips curling into a smile. 
“Let me show you.”
“That’s exactly what I wanted to hear.”
“I poured you a glass of wine.”
“That’s precisely what I wanted to hear,” he said laughing.
Inside I handed him a full glass and pointed to three different magazine clippings spread out on the table.
“I like these three,” I said.
Three kitchens?  That’s not what I wanted to hear,” he said emptying his wineglass and promptly left the room.

With the help of my thick file of kitchen picture ideas I had found the kitchen I wanted.  Or to be more accurate I should say, I found the three kitchens I wanted. 

1) White Kitchen:  I loved this kitchen’s clean lines, marble and the feeling of spaciousness that white imbibes a space with.  Of course being a mustard aficionado I’d probably have the white cabinets stained with yellow after the first meal of homemade hamburgers.

2) Yellow Kitchen: I loved this kitchen’s warmth and how well red and wood went with it.  I had a lot of red and wooden kitchen items that I could still use in this kitchen.  Plus the yellow walls would hide any errant mustard stains.

3) Blue Kitchen: I was shocked to find this blue kitchen among my favorite clippings especially after all the fuss I had made about how our old kitchen never should have been painted blue in the first place because blue belonged in bathroom, a pool or a sewer.  But this clipping convinced me it was just the ugly faded blue-green paint color in our old kitchen that I disliked.  I loved this clipping’s blue and the mixture of existing furniture pieces that it employed as opposed to all new, uniform-looking cabinets.  This kitchen had charm, order and personality.  It clearly belonged to a real person who had history.

Which meant, I loved particular aspects about each kitchen.  Perhaps I could combine the white kitchen’s island with the yellow kitchen’s large painting and wood countertops with the blue kitchen’s blue cabinets.  It could look something like this mash-up photo:
  
Yes!  That was the solution!  Take the best aspects of each one!  I found Mr. Wonderful in the living room engrossed in reading a new comic book. 

“Honey, I got it!  Our kitchen can combine all three.  What do you think?” I said flashing him the mash-up photo.
“Hmm,” he mumbled not looking up from his book.

Which is exactly what I didn’t want to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment